Welcome, Guest

Please login or register

FORUMS SUBMENU

Register Forum Rules Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BioRUST Forums > Graphics Software & Support > Adobe Photoshop > How do I get rid of white background on this logo?
Sponsored Links

Thread: How do I get rid of white background on this logo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009   #1

How do I get rid of white background on this logo?

I want to get rid of the white background so that I am left with only the logo that I have created. I posted the image in .jpg but it was created is PS.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I get rid of white background on this logo?-dirttrackphoto-logo-jpg  

Last edited by f5chaser; 10-08-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-08-2009   #2
Janitor of Lunacy

Battle Wins: 22 (rank: #1)
The problem you face here is the blue outer glow around the text at the bottom of the image. You'll be able to remove the white around the rest of the image quite easily - there are a number of ways to do it - but may be left with inexact edges around where the blue glow meets the white background. This might not be a problem however, depending on the colour of the background you are going to place the logo on.

One way to remove the bulk of the white background:
  1. Make sure the image is on a Layer.
  2. Select Select > Color Range...
  3. In the Color Range dialog box, make sure that Sampled Colors is selected in the dropdown box.
  4. Move the mouse cursor over your image - the cursor will change to an eyedropper - and click on the white area.
  5. Move the Fuzziness slider up to 200.
  6. Click OK - all the white in the image will now be selected.
  7. Press Delete to remove the selected (white) areas.
You will end up with something like the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I get rid of white background on this logo?-logo-jpg  

"I might join your century, but only as a doubtful guest"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-09-2009   #3

Talking

I got it thanks to your help.
Attached Thumbnails
How do I get rid of white background on this logo?-dirttrackphoto-logo2-jpg  
Old 10-09-2009   #4

how come when i still open a .jpg image of the file it still has a white background? I clearly removed it and that is confirmed when i save as a .psd but not when a .jpg.
Old 10-09-2009   #5
Janitor of Lunacy

Battle Wins: 22 (rank: #1)
JPGs do not support transparency.

Filetypes that support transparency include GIF, PNG and TIFF. Each of these have their drawbacks, however:
  • GIFs allow single-bit transparency (which means when you are creating your image, you can specify one colour to be transparent), but only support 256 colours (which means that they are a poor choice for photographic images or those with subtle gradient fills)
  • PNGs (specifically PNG-24) support 24-bit colour and (via the use of an alpha channel) even support varying degrees of transparency, from fully transparent through to fully opaque. Unfortunately, if you are planning to use the graphic on a web page you may run into problems - there are various compatibility issues surrounding PNGs and Internet Explorer.
  • TIFFs also support partial transparency and 24-bit colour, but you cannot use them on web pages.

"I might join your century, but only as a doubtful guest"
Old 10-26-2009   #6

Battle Wins: 1 (rank: #34)
Send a message via Yahoo to Sarrene
I know im late on this conversation....
PNG's are my favorite transparent format. They have more control and do not seem to be as.. fuzzy or blocky around the edges at times as a tif or gif can be at times.

I am not sure what version of adobe photoshop you are using, but if you like, i have a modified version of the targa file that will show the transparencies instead of a white or black background. The below is for working with targa files:

I have from ps7 to cs4, but sticking with cs3. Sadly the targa fix does not work on cs4

Adobe changed the way photoshop handles targa files and the alpha channels in cs2. Do not ask me why, they said they "fixed" it. Though it was working just fine, and most of us loved the way targa format was handled (and opened up) in photoshop before, they said (on the official boards) that it was broken and not working as they had planned so they fixed it. Of course, that just messed a few people, especially the old timers that was use to the visual tga and png.

Myself, when I open up a tga or png, I like to see the transparent backgounds, not a white or black. For some reasion it really messed me up.

So.. if you are using cs2 or cs3, you can use this file. Just replace it with the one already present. Remember it does NOT work with cs4.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Plug-Ins\File Formats

This should help you as well somewhat. And as Tamlin said, tif, gif, tga and png's are the files that will show transparencies.

Tip: 1)Work in layers 2)Save a copy of your work with all layers (psd for me), so you can always go back and edit/adjust/change something later on.

Peace,
Sarrene'
Attached Files
File Type: zip Targa.zip (13.7 KB, 91 views)