Welcome, Guest

Please login or register

FORUMS SUBMENU

Register Forum Rules Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BioRUST Forums > Graphics Software & Support > Adobe Photoshop > Help with Merging Photoshop Layer Effects
Sponsored Links

Thread: Help with Merging Photoshop Layer Effects

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006   #1

I Need Help with Merging Photoshop Layer Effects

I'm working on a Photoshop layout which has several layers, many with layer effects such as overlay, hard light, multiply etc. My problem is trying to merge a normal layer with a layer which has layer effects, without losing the layer effect. For instance, I have two duplicate layers: the layer below is normal, the layer above is identical but with an overlay effect. When I try merging them into one layer, I lose my overlay effect. I know I can flatten the image and keep all the layer effects, but I want to merge several "layer-effect" layers before the final flattening. I've tried putting them into grouped folders and merging the folders but that doesn't work either.

If there's anybody who knows how to solve my problem, I'd really appreciate knowing the right way to proceed.

Last edited by candlefish; 08-30-2006 at 03:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-29-2006   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to ecntrc
I know that you can lock the two layers together and move them and they will move together but as for merging and not loosing the effects I dont think you can do that.. Thats to my knowledge..
Old 08-30-2006   #3
Uniko

... and there's no obvious reason to merge a perfectly looking design.
You can group layers in order to make "logical pieces" or you can use smart objects (only in CS).
Am I right?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-30-2006   #4
Get off my lawn.

Battle Wins: 4 (rank: #7)
I've had the same problem. Found this info on another site - seems to work!

What you need to do is:
* Hide any layers that you don't want combined (Click the Eye icons)
* use Merge Visible command

Last edited by MoodsR4Cattle; 08-30-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2006   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to ecntrc
I thought doing that would still merge everything.. see you learn somethng new everyday.. ill try that out..
Old 08-31-2006   #6

Thanks for help with merging layers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodsR4Cattle View Post
I've had the same problem. Found this info on another site - seems to work!

What you need to do is:
* Hide any layers that you don't want combined (Click the Eye icons)
* use Merge Visible command
I tried using your suggested method on my complex layout but it didn't work; I suspect there are just too many layers and blendings on this particular piece. Then I tried it on another, simpler layout and it worked beautifully. Thanks so much for your help, it'll come in handy on future layouts.
Old 08-31-2006   #7
Get off my lawn.

Battle Wins: 4 (rank: #7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by candlefish View Post
I tried using your suggested method on my complex layout but it didn't work; I suspect there are just too many layers and blendings on this particular piece. Then I tried it on another, simpler layout and it worked beautifully. Thanks so much for your help, it'll come in handy on future layouts.
Ahhhhhhh, that's a shame - too good to be true, eh? I'd be interested to see this image!
Old 08-31-2006   #8

Also, if you turn off the layers you don't want merged, then hold down the CTRL-ALT-SHIFT buttons and tap the " E " key, this will Merge Visible - but to a new layer, leaving the originals intact.
Old 09-05-2006   #9
junebug41

unclick the layers you want to leave alone, then go layers , merge visible...should help

Old 09-06-2006   #10

Thank for merging layers command

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapphnath View Post
Also, if you turn off the layers you don't want merged, then hold down the CTRL-ALT-SHIFT buttons and tap the " E " key, this will Merge Visible - but to a new layer, leaving the originals intact.
Just realized I never thanked you for your info, so thanks a lot - it's come in very useful.
Old 09-08-2006   #11

Ctrl + E

Merges Layers Together
Old 09-08-2006   #12
Janitor of Lunacy

Battle Wins: 22 (rank: #1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy103 View Post
Ctrl + E

Merges Layers Together
Not quite - Ctrl+E merges the currently active layer with the one immediately below it (it's the shortcut for Layer > Merge Down). It doesn't affect the other layers in the stack.

"I might join your century, but only as a doubtful guest"
Old 09-12-2006   #13
ElectricalSoul

Merging layers to keep an applied effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlefish View Post
I'm working on a Photoshop layout which has several layers, many with layer effects such as overlay, hard light, multiply etc. My problem is trying to merge a normal layer with a layer which has layer effects, without losing the layer effect. For instance, I have two duplicate layers: the layer below is normal, the layer above is identical but with an overlay effect. When I try merging them into one layer, I lose my overlay effect. I know I can flatten the image and keep all the layer effects, but I want to merge several "layer-effect" layers before the final flattening. I've tried putting them into grouped folders and merging the folders but that doesn't work either.

If there's anybody who knows how to solve my problem, I'd really appreciate knowing the right way to proceed.
Hi, I think this is what you are looking for. Create a new blank layer beneath the layer that has the overlay effect applied. Then select the layer with the effect and merge it down into the new blank layer "ctrl E". The two layers will merge with the overlay removed, but with the effect still visible. You can then merge this layer with the one beneath "ctrl E", as it will no longer have the overlay effect applied.
The layer with the effect might also need to be rasterized prior to merging with other layers. I have run into situations were type layers or shape layers with layer styles applied are unable to merge without rasterizing them first.

I am curious though. If the two layers are exactly identical, is there any reason to merge the two rather than simply eliminate the lower layer?

Old 09-12-2006   #14

Thanks for input

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricalSoul View Post
Hi, I think this is what you are looking for. Create a new blank layer beneath the layer that has the overlay effect applied. Then select the layer with the effect and merge it down into the new blank layer "ctrl E". The two layers will merge with the overlay removed, but with the effect still visible. You can then merge this layer with the one beneath "ctrl E", as it will no longer have the overlay effect applied.
The layer with the effect might also need to be rasterized prior to merging with other layers. I have run into situations were type layers or shape layers with layer styles applied are unable to merge without rasterizing them first.

I am curious though. If the two layers are exactly identical, is there any reason to merge the two rather than simply eliminate the lower layer?
Thanks for the input, especially the suggestion that rasterization can be effective prior to merging in some cases.

Regarding merging two identical layers rather than simply eliminating the lower layer: The two layers are identical with the exception that the upper layer has a layer effect. I need the combination of the two layers for the layer effect to have the desired result. My end result depends on the colour combinations of the lower layer and the particular layer effect of the upper layer which will be applied to the lower layer. If I just eliminate the lower layer, the upper layer containing the layer effect has nothing to “work” with.
Closed Thread